Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dog Biscuits... from scratch!

My husband and I like to try to keep as many of the nasty human chemicals and preservatives away from our animals as possible, but it's hard sometimes, especially if you can't afford to buy them the good organic dog food.... or like us, live in a small town where the only place to even buy dog food is Walmart. Here is a great way to at least provide your dog with a preservative-free snack.

I found this old "Gourmet Doggie Biscuit Kit" at an antique store in Baldwin City, KS and picked it up for a quarter. It contains recipes for homemade dog biscuits, along with a bone-shaped cookie cutter. I am going to pass along the recipes here, and I would suggest just cutting out a bone shape with a knife if you can't find a cookie cutter like this.


The instructions are great... they say, "Don't limit yourself to biscuits. Cut biscuit shaped sandwiches for the kids when they are in the doghouse, make bread dough Christmas ornaments with your dog's or a dog friends' names painted on. Let your imagination go. If your dog does not like any of the following recipes, it is time for a visit to the veterinarian."


The Master Recipe, makes 10 biscuits

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup powdered dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 tablespoons butter, shortening or meat drippings
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup ice water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, dry milk, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal. Mix in egg. Add enough water so that mixture forms a ball.

Pat out dough 1/2 inch thick with your fingers, on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Cut with doggie biscuit cutter and remove scraps. Pat out scraps and proceed as before.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cake rack.

Variations for the master recipe:
To vary flavor and texture add one of the following:
1 cup pureed cooked green vegetables or carrots
6 tablespoons whole wheat or rye kernels
2-3 tablespoons dried soup greens
3 tablespoons liver powder
Mix in the ingredient of your choice when you add the egg, the proceed with the basic directions.


Rye Crisps

2 cups rye flour
1/2 cup soybean flour or 1/4 cup each white flour and cornmeal
6 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup warm water

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Blend flours. Mix oil with water and add to flour. Mix well, dough should form a ball.

Pat out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on lightly oiled cookie sheet. Cut with doggie biscuit cutter and remove scraps. Pat out scraps and proceed as before.

Bake for 40 minutes, cool on wire rack.

I haven't tried these recipes yet, but I'm excited to see how my two dogs like them!

Here's Ginger and Lucky, my babies!

2 comments:

  1. OMG your dogs are SO FRICKIN' CUTE! Also, I bought this exact thing from I think a catalog when I used to have Newton, remember him? Mine were for people and doggies, I wish I still had the doggie bone cutter to make Wilber some.
    Sarah Konopik by the way, I'm NOT putting my name down as Omaha Sarah like my family does for Goldstein Sarah, she can kiss my white ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that would make me the Oak Harbor Sarah Konopik....

    ReplyDelete