Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tiki Chic!

Hawaiian and Polynesian culture was all the rage in the 50's and 60's, so it is no surprise that people like me who are obsessed with this time period have a big love for all things Tiki. I am not as crazy as some people.... I don't have dreams of a totally island-themed living room or bedroom, but having a set of original vintage Tiki mugs is definitely on my wish list, and a few island decorations around the house are a must as well.

Here's a picture of a book completely devoted to collecting Tiki mugs, proof of their popularity! Love that monkey mug on the cover.


Here's a 50's island bar, completely decked out in Tiki gear.


And how fabulous is this bedroom???


Here is my own personal Tiki find. This guy came from an antique mall...I can't remember the name. It is off I-35 South, at the Tennessee Road exit by Ottawa, KS. I got this beautiful carved wood mask for $17! I've seen smaller, less cool masks in other antique stores for as much as $75. I also have a fantastic Tiki totem for the patio, but it is in storage. I'll get a good picture of him when he gets his new home.


I am planning a house warming/birthday party for my husband at the new house when we are all settled in. I found these great plates and napkins a few days ago at Walmart! They have a whole line of tropical luau party decor... grass skirts, limbo kits, blow-up tiki coolers, leis, fake coconut glasses, cute plastic cups that you can write your name on to keep track of your drink, toothpick umbrellas....the works. I got these now before they run out. I will hopefully get more of this great Tiki party stuff before it's all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment