Thursday, May 14, 2009

Magical Ideas for Kids Rooms

A friend of mine is pregnant and got me thinking about how to decorate a child's room. I found these wonderful items on the Pottery Barn Kids website. What a magical environment for a kid to grow up in!

Here are some great tree and butterfly wall decals. I think it would be easy enough to create a similar design on your own to paint directly on the wall. Of course, with the wall decals, you could switch up the look with less hassle. The tree wall decals are on sale right now for $39.99-59.99.


I love the 3-D butterflies! They are $32.


Here is a truly magical butterfly chandelier, for $79, with the butterfly silhouette wall decals on sale right now for $39.99. Because I am always trying to think of ways to save money, I would suggest again that this idea could be created on your own. I would get some heavy transparent velum paper and cut out shapes, and hang them with fishing line. You wouldn't have to use butterflies (maybe you have a boy and think it's too girlie)....you could use leaf shapes, or birds, or just free-form shapes. You could use a glass bead to weigh each one down.

This look reminds me of the scene in the kids movie The Spiderwick Chronicles, where the sylphs swarm around the kids and carry them away. Very enchanting.


Another picture of the fabulous designs on the 3-D butterflies.


The website showed another creative way to use the 3-D butterflies. There are countless other creatures that could be created with some cool paper. You can find all kinds of great designer papers in the scrapbook section of any store, even Walmart. You could also use fabric glued to heavy paper to create different animals or shapes!

1 comment:

  1. I have already started buying things at garage sales to make the baby's room! I found a fabulous old turtle lamp with a stained-glass shell! I want to do a nature-themed baby room with lotsa birdies! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete